Astrology relies upon several factors that determine a person’s interaction with the events in his/her life. Most of these factors are categorized under the movement and influence of stars and planets at the time of a person’s birth. Depending upon the alignment of the stars and planets, such movement can result in both, favorable as well as harmful and unfavorable events in our life. One such case is of the Shani Dosha or the defect of Saturn in a person’s horoscope.
One must have heard of the Shani Dosha and the 7 and a half years of bad luck that it brings in the life of a person. Read on further to know everything about the Shani Dosha and how to get rid of the ill effects.
What is Shani Dosha?
Shani Dosha is described as the ill placement, weak positioning, or negative designation of the Saturn planet in a person’s Natal Charts or Kundali. The entry of Saturn in a house that already has Mars, Moon, and Rahu also can be the cause of Shani Dosha.
Duration of the effect Of Shani Dosha
The famous Saade Saati (7 and a half year) is the first thing that pops up in the head of a person when they think about Shani Dosha. In several cases, that is the most severe effect that Shani Dosha has on the afflicted. However, there also happens to be a condition of Ashtama Shanaiswara, when Saturn sits in the 8th house and brings difficulty in life for about 2.5 years. This is because Saturn takes about 2.5 years to cross out of a house, and about 30 years to complete one cycle through all the houses.
Sensing that this could have hurt the regime of the Sun God in the Universe, the gods pleaded to Astika Muni to stop the Yagna. This was how Takshaka was saved on the 5th day of the month of Shravana, which then began to be celebrated as Nag Panchami.
Causes of Shani Dosha
Unlike other natal defects in Vedic Astrology, Shani Dosha is said to happen in the birth chart of a person because of the practices adopted by him in his previous birth. These include:
- Badly hurting or harming a person or animal, knowingly or unknowingly.
- Falling into corrupt practices, hypocrisy, and acts of sadism.
- Greed for money and materialistic possessions
- Getting jealous of the success and prosperity of other people
- Use of unfair means like cheating, deceit, treachery, etc.
- Self-centricity of the extent that it encroaches or suppresses/oppresses the life of others
Ill Effects of Shani Dosha
Shani (Saturn) is known to give blessings like prosperity, great health, and fulfillment when it is favourable. But an angered, or weak Shani can wreak havoc in a person’s life, with ill effects like these.
- Obstructions and delays in work and results
- Poverty and Misery
- Problematic married life, with some cases of delay as well
- Arguments, quarrels, and other discrepancies in relationships.
- Loss in business or failures in the profession
- Cheating or theft, and monetary damages including out of control loans and debt
- Injuries and accidents leading up to Paralysis
- Respiratory problems including Asthama
- Chronic disorders like AIDS, Cancer, and Diabetes.
Remedying the Ill Effects
Shani is feared as maleficent, which is not his true nature. He is the son of the Sun God, and the elder brother of Yama with temper issues, which has granted him this reputation. Shani is known to be benevolent and harbinger of justice. To appease him is to bring him onto your side. Here are some ways set in Vedic astrology to get rid of the ill effects of the Shani Dosha
- Fast: Saturdays are the days of the Saturn God, it is therefore suggested to fast on 51 Saturdays to appease Shani God. One must also break the fast with only Khichdi (Rice and Urad Dal) and Sesame seed broth after sunset for best results.
- Charities and Donations: Donate to the poor on Saturdays.
- Prayers: One must chant Hanuman Chalisa to Lord Hanuman on Saturdays and Tuesdays.
- Gemstone: It is suggested that a person with Shani dosha should wear a Blue Sapphire, Shani Yantra Pendant or a ring made from the horseshoe of a black horse. Organize or perform Yajnas like the Vedic Yajna and the Shani Graha Shanti Yajna. Also, keep chanting the Shani Mantra and the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra.
Shani Dosha, or any other natal defect, are infamous only because they are linked to our previous birth, which isn’t in our control. But the life we live after is something that we can control. And that is why following these remedies can prove to be effective. For guidance on Shani Dosha, astrological remedies, or residential Vastu services, get in touch with Pandit Pawan Kaushik.