In Hindu culture, the 5th month of the solar year is observed as Shravan month in which a lot of spiritual and religious practices take place. The transition of Sun in the Zodiac Sign, Leo marks the beginning of Shravan month. Hindus observe fasts on Mondays for appeasing Lord Shiva for He is the God that blesses its native with success, prosperity and physical well-being. During the month of Shravan, the devotees are granted boons by Lord Shiva. The Lord gives them a wonderful chance of repenting their mistakes and thus makes their lives rid of negativity and bad luck.
However, there are certain Do’s and Don’ts that the devotee must follow if they want to get the blessings of Lord Shiva.
- Worship in the morning It is advised that during the Shravan month, one must get up before sunrise. After taking bath, they should offer their prayers by visiting a temple or in their house (if there is no Pandit nearby). Milk and water must be offered on the Shivlinga and Om Namah Shivaya along with the chanting of ‘Om Namah Shivaya’.
- Worship Shivlinga Shivlings should be religiously worshipped in the Shravan Maas. Bel leaves, Panchamrit, Ganga Jal and fruits must be offered on the shivlinga. It must be thoroughly cleaned with Ganga Jal before making an offering.
- Feed Fish, Cow and Poor
- If possible, the devotee must try to visit a river or a pond for feeding the dough balls to the fish. This brings good karma and pleases Lord Shiva. Doing so also brings in prosperity in the life of the devotee.
- If you feed green grass to the cows in the month of Shravan, new opportunities knock at your door.
- Feed the poor people by offering them food. If they do so, Lord Shiva blesses the devotee with financial security. The souls of our ancestors also shower blessings on us if we indulge ourselves in good deeds.
- Chanting of Mahamritunjaya If you are facing mental or physical issues, chanting the Mahamrityunjaya for 108 times in a day can take away all your worries and troubles. ॐ त्र्यम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम् उर्वारुकमिव बन्धनान्मृत्योर्मुक्षीय माऽमृतात्
- Offer Saffron milk If you are experiencing the problem of delayed marriage, offering the saffron milk on the Shivalinga can remove the obstacles from your path. Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva blesses the devotee with a good life partner.
- Offer Bel Leaves Bel Patra must be offered on the Shivlingas on every Monday. You can also write ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ on 21 leaves with chandan and can make the offering on Shivalinga. This helps in fulfilling all your desires.
- Perform Abhishek on Shivalinga If you are experiencing problems in personal and professional life due to Mangal Dosha, then performing the Abhishek on every Monday of the Shravan Maas can reduce the effect of this deadly dosha.
In the Shravan Month, anything that invites negativity or bad luck upon you must be strictly avoided.
- Do not consume alcohol/non-veg/onion & garlic Strict and healthy diet must be observed during the Shravan Maas and especially on Mondays. If you indulge yourself in the consumption of above things, the peace and prosperity of your house would be chased away by Lord Shiva.
- Do not kill snakes Snakes are the most beloved living creatures to Lord Shiva. Do not kill them if you don’t want to invite the wrath of the powerful Lord Shiva.