What is Vastu Shastra?
The Sanskrit word ‘vastu’ plainly stands for ‘dwelling’, which is the home for god and humans, while the term ‘Shastra’ stands for ‘doctrine’. This shastra is based on the energies that reach us from various sources of atmosphere like solar energy, cosmic energy, lunar energy, thermal energy, magnetic energy, light energy, wind energy etc. It is primarily founded on the significance of directions and states that it is the direction that controls a situation or state of a system.
Why Vastu shastra is important?
The various energies surrounding us need to be balanced in order to enhance peace, prosperity and success. Vastu Shastra unifies the science, art, astronomy and astrology. It helps secure our lives and prevents our lives from imminent damage or, if not, it atleast minimizes the damage. Experts from the field of Vastu Shastra affirms that in this age of materialism, continuous stress in personal and professional lives, if the house is constructed in concordance with the principles and guidelines of Vastu Shastra, one can escape from the prevailing and forthcoming adversities and worries. With a little consideration in the relative positioning and arrangement of the rooms in the house, one can savor a peaceful, happy and prosperous life. Vastu can be used at both micro as well as macro levels.
Vastu Tips for home-
• The entrance of the house brings in the main energy. The house should have an East, North and North East-facing main door.
• Drainage pipes should be constructed in the a way that they should outflow in West, North or North-west. One can experience financial difficulties if the direction of the drains is improper.
• South-East direction is considered the direction of Fire. Hence, the kitchen should always be sited in the South-east direction
• The bathroom or toilets are a major source of damaging energies. Hence, they should always be located in the east direction, far away from the kitchen area.
• Majority of the walls in the house should be painted in lighter tones, as these shades promote relaxation, harmony and tranquility. Dark colors promote tension and should be avoided at any cost.
• Vastu insists on spaces that are regular in shape since these shapes signify protection, steadiness and security. Hence, the rooms that are square or rectangular in design are preferred the most.
• Any water body inside the house like the swimming pool, an aquarium or water tank should be placed in the Northeast direction as water signifies wealth and this direction enhances power of prosperity.
• There should be a provision for some empty space in the centre of the house from where light enters. This central space should always remain spotless and unoccupied.
• All doors in the house should always open inside for in order to welcome positive energies and prosperity inside the house.
Vastu Tips for Wealth:
One can say that Vastu and wealth are synonymous as one (Vastu) works well for the other (Wealth). One can experience significant and continuous wealth flow if strict Vastu rules are followed in the house.
• Lord Kubera, God of wealth, sits in the north direction. So, always keep this direction energetic and positive to sustain good energies that will help raise wealth.
• North-east direction should be freed from any construction, except the worship room. Let it reside if you want to keep it or else keep the area spotless and obstruction-free.
• Avoid blocking East and North directions as they channelize financial.
• To boost up the financial influx, it is essential to keep the house clutter-free as a house is believed to be a temple and must be kept unsoiled.
• The front door of the house and the entrance should not be obstructed by pole, wire, pit or any similar hindrance.
• Do not construct over-head tank in North-east direction since that direction is considered apt for under-water tanks.
Vastu Tips For career:
Vastu Shastra not only renders an optimistic future by making the environment completely positive but also helps in creating a bright career. Although one can’t change his fate, but hard-work and certain other measures can definitely promise a bright future:
1) For professionals :
• For artistic people like writers, research intellectuals and artists, sitting and working along the back of wall is considered highly fortunate.
• If the work-place is residential, it should never be sited beside the bedroom.
• In conference or meeting rooms, one should always avoid sharp-edged table or any such furniture.
• Never sit with your back against the entrance.
• One should always have office desks in regular shapes such as square and rectangle. Avoid any irregular or circular-shaped furniture to prevent any shortcomings.
• Placing a crystal on the table improves financial position and creates lively atmosphere
• Illuminate the southern corner of the work-place.
• The seating arrangement should be always North-facing.
2) For students :
• One should always use an average sized study table that is regular in shape. Avoid using over-small or over-sized tables.
• For better concentration, face the study tables in the East or North for increased concentration. This would, in turn, ensure that the student sitting on this table would also face East or North.
• Leave space between the wall and study-table free to allow sufficient flow of energies.
• The book shelf should be positioned in East, North or North-east direction.
• Avoid placing anything in the centre of a room.
• Avoid piling a lot of books or things on the study table since it results in unnecessary stress and poor concentration
• Lighten up the South-east corner of study table with a well-lit desk light.
• Give the room a tint of subtle and light colors as it enhances concentration and ability to focus.
As quoted by many authors, ‘Vastu is an inherent energy concept of science’. Although one cannot witness energy with bare eyes, one can surely experience its application in various arrangements. Just like every subject of human aspect is administered with a particular set of laws, regulations & acts, correspondingly, the nature also lays down certain rules and regulations and for efficient governing of its residents.
Vastu is that science of architecture which is founded upon the laws of nature and its existence can, hence, not be overlooked.
Read More About – Residential Vastu