In Hinduism, every month has its own significance but the month of Kartik is special in its own ways. The Purnima or full moon day falling in the month of Kartik is called Kartik Purnima. As per Hindu lunar calendar, the day marks the end of the divine month of Kartik, which is the eight month of the year and is considered as the holiest of all. This month starts with Sharad Purnima and ends on Kartik Purnima.
This year Kartik Purnima will be celebrated on 4 th November, 2017.
Purnima Tithi Ends – 10:52 PM on 4th Nov
According to legends, Lord Shiva killed a demon named Tripurasura on the day of Kartik Purnima. People light lamps on this day to celebrate the victory of Lord Shiva. This celebration is known as Dev Deepawali and is celebrated with great enthusiasm in the holy city of Varanasi. It is said that the tradition of Dev Deepawali was first started by burning thousands of lamps in Panchagaranga Ghat in 1915.
What to Do on Kartik Purnima?
Kartik Purnima is celebrated all over India with great festivity and gaiety.
- It is believed that on this day, taking a holy bath in River Ganga at moon rise and offering prayers to Lord Shiva is very auspicious.
- Annakutta, a combo of different foods is offered to the Lord at temples.
- Ghats of Varanasi get lightened up by rows of lamps. People also place Diyas in boats floating on the river and under trees. The lamps’ brightness outshines the Ghats all night.
- It is believed that one gets all his wishes fulfilled by donation of gold.
- Any type of cutting or chopping is banned on the festival day.
- Religious people feed Brahmins and donate different things to the poor and needy.
- Deepmala, a tower of light is prepared on Kartik Purnima at significant temples of South India.
Simple Remedies to Follow for a Prosperous life
- To seek blessings of the god, light an earthen lamp with 4 wicks pointing towards all the four directions (North, South, East, West).
- Chant MahaMrityunjay mantra 108 times. It is as follows:
ऊॅ त्रयम्बकं यजामहे सुगन्धिं पुष्टिवर्धनम्।
उव्र्वारूकमिव बन्धनान्मृत्योर्मुक्षीय मामृतात्।।
- Stare at full moon for sometime (around 4-5 minutes). The rays emitting from moon on Purnima have the power to calm nerves and relax your eyes.
- Offer Kheer to Lord Shiva on the night of Kartik Purnima. Consume some of it yourself as Prasad afterwards. This would bring mental peace and prosperity in your life.