Puja Muhurat = 06:09 to 27:15+
Duration = 21 Hours 5 Mins
Chaturdashi Tithi Begins = 05:27 on 15/Sep/2016
Chaturdashi Tithi Ends = 03:15 on 16/Sep/2016
Anant means eternal and Chaturdashi means fourteen, hence, Ganesh Visarjan or Anant Chaturdashi falls on the fourteenth day of bright fortnight in the month of Bhadrapad. On this day, both men and women observe fast and, pray Lord Vishnu for the well-being, happiness and good fortune of their family.
Legend behind Fasting on Anant Chaturdashi
The ardent believers of Lord Vishnu vow to keep fast on Anant Chaturdashi for 14 consecutive years to attain immense wealth.
The tradition of observing this fast started long time ago, when, a Brahmin girl, Sushila, eloped with a young man, Kaundiya in order to get rid of her stepmother’s torturous behavior. It was during her journey that she noticed some women praying Lord Vishnu. On inquiry, she learnt the essence of keeping fast on Anant Chaturdashi. Inspired, she vowed to fast for 14 years in a row and with the Lord’s blessings, they were blessed with enormous wealth and prosperity. However, her husband refused to acknowledge the Lord’s Grace and held his tireless efforts to be the sole reason behind their financial success. Besides, he broke the sacred thread tied on his wife’s wrist, symbolic of her Chaturdashi fast.
As a consequence of her husband’s disrespectful act, they soon lost all their wealth and started living the life of beggars.
Upon realization of his folly, Kaundiya underwent tough self-punishment for many months in the hope of seeking Lord Vishnu’s forgiveness. One day, Lord Vishnu appeared before him and advised him to observe fast on Anant Chaturdashi for 14 continuous years.
Kaundiya complied with the Almighty and with His Grace, regained his lost wealth. Thus, started the practice to keep fast on Anant Chaturdashi.
- Take bath early in the morning and perform puja with a properly prepared Puja thali consisting of flowers, incense sticks, oil lamp, sandalwood paste, vermillion and turmeric.
- Chant Vishnu Sahasranamam and ardently worship Lord Vishnu.
- Offer Prasad to the Lord’s image/idol that includes fruits, milk and some sweets.
- A pious thread covered with turmeric and vermillion (kumkum) is tied on the devotees’ wrist (males should tie this sacred thread on right hand and females, on the left hand). This thread, being symbolic of Lord Vishnu’s protection of His devotees, is also called as ‘Raksha Sutra’. Raksha Sutra Mantra:
- Now, start your fast with utmost devotion for the divine. The devotees are advised to consume fruits and milk during fasting and avoid taking salt in any form.
- Conclude your fast on the next day, when the Chaturdashi tithi ends.
Ananta Sansar Maha Samudre Magnan Samabhyuddhar Vasudeva Ananta Rupey Viniyojitatmamahya Ananta Rupey Namoh Namastute.
With the Almighty’s pious blessings, you will be rewarded with good fortune and success in life.II HAPPY ANANT CHATURDASHI II
Leave a Reply