Dedicated to Lord Shiva, Shravan Maas is the fifth month of Hindu calendar. Since Shivaratri falls in this holy month of Shravan, it is much celebrated as Shravan Shivratri. The day is celebrated with great religious fervour all over India. Shiva followers flock Shiva temples to offer prayers to the powerful deity. It is believed that Rudrabhishek of Shivalingams on this day can liberate people from the vicious circle of life and death!
Why is Shravan Shivratri important?
As per Hindu calendar, the month of Shravan is the best time to please the Lord of the Lords, Mahadev. Worshipping Lord Shiva on this auspicious day can bless the worshippers with good health, prosperity and strength. Various stories highlight the importance of Shravan Shivratri:
- There are beliefs that Lord Shiva performed the famous ‘tandava’ dance on Shivratri.
- As per another legendary story, Lord Shiva drank the deadly poison HalaHala on this day, to save the planet from destruction and darkness.
- Some believe that Lord Shiva married Goddess Parvati on the auspicious eve of Shivratri,
Rituals that one must follow on Shravan ShivratriIt is said that performing Rudrabhishek on Shivalingam purifies the soul and blesses the devotee with virtue and enlightenment. Some important tips to follow during this auspicious occasion of Shravan Shivratri:
- The Shivalingam must be bathed with milk, honey, curd, Ganga Jal and ghee.
- Along with betel leaves, offer the leaves of Bel tree or Bel Patra to Lord Shiva.
- Offer fruits such as dhatura and ber to the Lingam.
- Shivalingam Abhishek should be done with the paste of Sandalwood.
- Burn Incense sticks and a lamp of ghee around the lingam.
- Chant ‘OM Namah Shivaya’ and Mahamrityunjaya Mantra.
Why Observe Fast on Shravan Shivratri?
Observing fast on the eve of Shravan Shivratri holds great importance in Hinduism. It is believed to fulfill the desires and bestow the life of a worshipper with happiness and peace. Such is the power of Shravan Shivratri.
- Married women must observe this fast for the well-being of their husbands.
- Unmarried women can observe this fast to be blessed by a husband as powerful and loyal as Lord Shiva.
- Men can also observe this fast in order to seek strength and wisdom from Lord Shiva.
- Soon after bathing in the morning, Offer prayers to Shivalingam.
- Consume only sattvik food (fruits, sabuddana khichdi, thandai).
- Om Namah Shivaya must be chanted 108 times with a Rudraksha Mala.
- Do not get involved in any sinful acts.
The importance of this day amongst Hindus can be seen in those illuminated lights and festive atmosphere all across the country. Devotees are advised to worship Lord Shiva on Shravan Shivratri with utmost devotion for His divine blessings of happiness and prosperity.।। Om Namah Shivaya ।।