Navratri, which occurs twice in a year, is a sacred Hindu festival dedicated to the ardent worship of Goddess Durga and Her nine forms. During this nine days festival, devotees pray the Divine Mother with all their heart, mind and soul to seek Her Holy blessings for good health, peace, prosperity and enlightenment (moksha). Also, there are certain auspicious things that believers MUST DO during nine days of Navratri to please the Goddess.
MUST DO THINGS ON NAVRATRI
- Morning Prayers after Early Morning Bath: Take an early morning bath at the most by 9am. Offer prayers to Goddess Durga by reciting Devi Kavacham, Lakshmi Sahasranamam and other Devi shlokas.
- Please Goddess Lakshmi: After offering prayers to the Goddess, sprinkle water outside your main door as this practice pleases Goddess Lakshmi.
- Light Akhand Jyot: Light diya in front of Goddess’ idol and let it remain illuminated for nine consecutive days.
- Visit Temple: Devotees must visit temples in the morning and evening, offer flowers to the Goddess and perform Aarti.
- Evening Prayers: In evening, believers are suggested to meditate for about 20-25minutes in the hope of attaining salvation.
- Durga Saptashati/ Devi Mahatiyam: Read the spiritual text of Durga Saptashati or Devi Mahatiyam every day.
- Satvic Food: The followers are suggested to consume Satvic food during nine auspicious days of Navratri, that is, food devoid of onion, garlic etc.
- Offer Prasad to the Goddess: Prepare Naivedyam for the Goddess and offer it to the Divine Mother daily during nine days of Navratri.
- Donations to Girl Children: Durga devotees must offer food and essential belongings to girl children on all days of Navratri as they are considered the epitome of Goddess. Moreover, this practice burns the devotees’ past sins.
- Cleanliness: Ensure cleanliness in your house and surroundings as clean environment makes the Goddess happy.
Thus, make your Navratri-2017 more blissful by following the above mentioned sacred things. For more updates on Hindu festivals and important tithis (dates), refer www.pawankaushik.com