What is Mesha Sankranti?
Also known as Maha Vishuva Sankranti, Mesha Sankranti marks the beginning of the New Year according to solar calendar. This day is regarded highly sacred for offering donations (Dan-Punya) to the Brahmins and the needy.
Different Names of Mesha Sankranti
Pana Sankranti: In Odisha, Mesha Sankranti is fondly called as Pana Sankranti.
Puthandu: In Tamil Nadu, Mesha Sankranti is known by the name of Puthandu.
Vaisakh: In Punjab, people celebrate Mesha Sankranti as Vaisakh.
Bihu: Another name for Mesha Sankranti in Assam is Bihu.
What are the Important Timings on Mesha Sankranti?
strong>Punya Kaal Muhurta = 06:01 to 12:22
Duration = 6 Hours 20 Mins
Sankranti Moment = 02:17
Mahapunya Kaal Muhurta = 06:01 to 08:08
Duration = 2 Hours 6 Mins
What is the Significance of Mesha Sankranti?
Seek Blessings of the Sun God: Worshipping the Sun God, on the blessed day of Mesha
Sankranti, brings happiness and good luck in one’s life.
Earn Merit of Good Karmas: Offering food, clothes and other valuable items, on the auspicious day of Mesha Sankranti; helps one earn merit (punya) and secure a place in Heaven.
What are the Rituals practiced on Mesha Sankranti?
Holy Dip:Take a holy dip in the pure waters of any of the divine rivers such as Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswati, Kaveri or Godavari.
- Offer Salutation (Namaskar) to Sun God.
- Worship Lord Vishnu, Lord Shiva, Lord Hanuman and Goddess kali, with absolute devotion and faith.
- Chant the sacred names of Sun God and holy mantras- “Om Namah Shivay”, “Hanuman Chalisa”, “Vishnu Sahasranamam” and “Lalitha Sahasranamam”.
- Consume Satvik food-(food consisting of fresh fruits and vegetables and, devoid of ginger, garlic, onion).
- Drink Pana, a special juice prepared on Mesha Sankranti.
Donations:Provide food, clothes and other necessary items to the unfortunate poor, as per
Punya kaal Muhurtha, on Mesha Sankranti.
Receive information regarding all important Hindu tithis and festivals at www.pawankaushik.com